It can be really tough to muster up the motivation to stay fit during the busy season between October and December.
October is apparently the slowest gym month of the year.
For many, it’s seemingly impossible to pull yourself out of the Halloween slump with the chaos of Thanksgiving and the rest of the holiday season following closely behind.
It’s too dark outside…
I’m exhausted because my toddler decided to “spring forward” instead of “fall back…”
I don’t have cold weather running gear…
I’m too busy preparing a Thanksgiving feast…
Stuffing, turkey, pumpkin pie… wait, what was I talking about?
Yes, it’s very tempting to put fitness on hold during the holidays. Unfortunately, exercise often is pushed off until eventually you find yourself totally out of shape in the new year.
Don’t deal with the struggle of getting back into shape in January.
Here are some tips on how to maintain fitness during the holidays.
How to Stay Fit during the Holidays
*Disclosure: There are some affiliate links in this post, and, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase.
- Have a plan: Many times we tell ourselves, I’m going to work out three times this week! Yeah! Then, we find ourselves baking cookies or shopping and our “plan” to workout has been completely forgotten. Write it down! Put it right in your schedule in PEN, so you won’t be able to forget it.
- Set a goal: I ran 9 miles this morning. Would I have ever run 9 miles if I didn’t have a half marathon coming up? No way. Sign up for a race (Check out this super fun Ugly Sweater Run coming to Philly this December 13th)! Invest in a workout DVD series that you would like to complete (I like P90X, Insanity and T25). Sign up for a new class like yoga or barre.
- Involve family & friends: My dad, brother and two close friends are all running the Philly Half Marathon with me (my first!) at the end of November. To be honest, it has been difficult to stay committed to training. There have been times I felt like just throwing in the towel, but I have been encouraged by my family and friends, knowing that they will be out there with me.
- Running not your thing? Organize a sporting event with your family or friends. I have a friend hosting a flag football game this November. It’s a great way to get people together while doing more than just sitting around eating.
- Sneak some fitness into your busy day: I did promise my family that I won’t attempt to squat in the kitchen with a turkey over my head (Missed my Fat Burning Exercises with a Pumpkin?). That won’t stop me from finding other unconventional ways of getting a workout in. Chores, like raking leaves and vacuuming, will give you a workout and you have to do them anyway! Try parking further away at the grocery store, always take the stairs in the mall, do some squats while brushing your teeth- there are lots of ways to stay active.
- Find a balance: Now, don’t feel like you have to miss out on holiday fun just to squeeze a workout in. It’s important to enjoy the holidays with your family and friends. Some scientists say drinking wine is better than going to the gym after all! So, try to stay active when you can, try not to completely overdo it when it comes to all of the delicious food and, most importantly, savor the fun holiday times ahead.
Do you plan on maintaining a fitness routine this Holiday season? Share your plans with me in the comment section below!
Number 5 Wooooooooo!!
Can’t wait for marathon weekend!
Rose- Yeah!! I’m excited! It’ll be nice to be back in the neighborhood.
I can’t wait for the wine workout afterward!
Mary Kay- haha, That’s more important!
Oh, I see you anticipated me, Rose! I thought you were wooing about the marathon. After this many years I should have known better, haha
THANK YOU for this! I really have been in a bit of a slump. I have lost a lot of weight recently and I’m feeling better, but I’ve kind of lost the motivation to work out. It made me laugh to realize that October is the slowest gym month – I don’t feel *too* bad now! But, I need to get back at it! Totally writing this tips down in my journal. I specifically like involve family and friends. I have four kids and involving them in yoga in the basement is always a hit so again, thanks! 🙂
Melissande- Thanks for your comment! I’m glad that these tips have re-motivated you. You are definitely not alone in losing the motivation during these colder months. Yoga with the kids sounds like so much fun!
Yes yes yes! I needed this lol I tend to find any excuse in the book to avoid getting active in the winter hahah, great tips!
Brittany- I know! I’m the queen of excuses sometimes. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
I didn’t realize October was the slowest gym month. What I do is anytime I watch to watch a show, I use my iPad and watch it while I’m on the treadmill. My husband and I have been thinking about doing a race. That is great motivation. Love the tips. Thanks.
Melissa Matters recently posted…The Sting of Parenthood
Melissa- That’s a great idea. I actually don’t have a treadmill, but we may get one eventually since we have more space with the new place. I was thinking about getting an audio book to listen to on one of my long runs. You should definitely sign up for a race. They are a lot of fun and addicting! Thanks for your comment and stopping by!
I def have a toddler who hasn’t figured out daylight savings yet… Not awesome! I love your tips… Especially about getting creative with workouts. I recently started doing push-ups and dips while my son sits on the potty… You gotta do what you gotta do!
Caroline recently posted…Balance Your Life 6: Drop It Like A Squat
Caroline- haha, I know! I thought he figured it out yesterday because he slept till 7:30, but he was up around 5 this morning. Who knows! I love the pushups and dips while your son is on the potty. I bet that is a funny sight!
I love this! We all need to stay fit all year long! I need to read a post on how NOT to eat holiday desserts!
Kristen recently posted…2 Minute Drill – Chris Bosh
Kristen- Thank you! It is WAY too difficult for me to give up holiday desserts. Last year I had a little success since my breastfeeding son was allergic to diary and soy, but instead I was addicted to these cookies with nothing in them but sugar. haha, I’m definitely making up for it this year!
I really needed this… I have been so unmotivated lately! Thanks for the wake up call!
Lauren recently posted…10 Things I’ve Learned In My 10 Years Of Marriage
walk walk walk! it’s the best exercise and easy to do with kids. unless you live in that serious cold stuff. i’m in arizona!
nicole recently posted…Best Snack Bar EVER!
These are great tips!! I need to actually do this bc I can never stick to my diets!!!
Alexis recently posted…Make it Monday: Handmade Holiday Gift Guide and Giveaway!
Alexis- Thank you! It is WAY too difficult (for me at least) to stick to a healthy eating plan during the holiday season.
I love this! I especially like the idea about getting family and friends involved. Yoga or spinning with friends works well for me. It’s nice having friend activities that don’t revolve around eating or drinking (as much as I love those things too).
Amy- Yoga and spinning are a lot of fun! I should really try to find a class nearby. Thanks for commenting and stopping by.
I think I am using all your excuses! I’ve got to get back on track. Way to stay healthy and motivate me!
Michelle recently posted…Who wants to run a Marathon?
Michelle- haha Don’t worry, there are plenty of excuses this time of year! I’m glad I could help!
Paid hosting services is definitely the best choice. But yet again if a website owner doest not afford to pay for webhosting something like 2 3$ a month maybe that website`s worth is 1$ or less …Free hosting is the solution for the very beginners, for small websites for testing your abilities only. If you want to develop something people will find usefull paid hosting is the way
Thanks a lot for sharing such a great piece of article! I found it a good helpful write-up with a good sound and explanation. Here I have seen some valuable ideas that are definitely helpful for every fitness enthusiast who wants to live healthy, fit, and longer lives. Please keep sharing more updates!