**Disclosure: This post contains an affiliate link, and, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase.
Truthfully, beets have always scared me a little.
They don’t really look too appetizing straight from the ground all dirty and misshapen. People also have a fondness for pickling them- not a favorite of mine.
Are they really worth dyeing my entire white kitchen red?
I have come to find out that, yes, beets are most certainly worth it.
You can boil them, roast them or even shave them raw onto a salad. My mother-in-law makes an amazing beet salad with goat cheese!
Since Halloween is just days away, I thought it would be the perfect excuse to dye my hands red and make a beautiful, easy beet soup.
If you don’t have a Halloween party to attend, I suggest wearing gloves.
Be sure to stop by my Food page for more tasty recipes!
Easy Beet Soup Recipe
If you are a little weary of beets like I was, this is the perfect beet recipe for you. It is super easy, really tasty and, most importantly, healthy!
W absolutely loved it!
I was a bit nervous to let W try to eat the soup by himself, with a white t-shirt on no less, but I guess that’s what bleach is for!
To make this dish, you simply throw all the ingredients in the dutch oven or pot and blend it up.
If you want to make it really easy, you can get this super handy Cuisinart Blender & Soup Maker. It blends and keeps your soup nice and hot!
I hope you enjoy this Easy Beet Soup Recipe. If you want to make more beet dishes or find out other foods or spices that compliment beets, check out Healthy Beets.
- 6-7 red beets, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 C shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 C low sodium beef broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp horseradish
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- crumbled goat cheese, for topping
- toasted walnuts, for topping
- Melt butter into a dutch oven over medium high heat. Add shallots and sauté for a few minutes until translucent. Add garlic and sauté another minute more.
- Add beets, salt and pepper, tarragon and worcestershire sauce and sauté them for 1-2 minutes.
- Add beef broth. Bring it up to a boil then turn the temperature down and let the beets simmer for 30-40 minutes depending on the size of your beets.
- Once beets are finished cooking, remove the dutch oven from the heat and let cool.
- Once beets are cooled, place beets in a food processor, blender, or a handy blender/soup maker and blend until smooth.
- If you don't have the handy blender/soup maker, transfer the soup back to the dutch oven and reheat until desired temperature.
- For topping: mix sour cream and horseradish in a bowl. Add to your soup along with some goat cheese crumbled and toasted walnuts.
Do you like beets or are you afraid of them? Let me know in the comment section below!