Fall is my favorite season.
What’s not to love? The colorful foliage! Football! Pumpkin picking! The food!
There’s nothing quite like digging into a heaping bowl of comfort food after a romp in the crisp, cool air of Autumn.
My Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese Recipe is sure to fill you up and get you right into the Fall spirit.
I like to sneak in vegetables whenever I can, and the butternut squash is definitely a tasty addition to this classic dish. Even though I can be quite the health nut when it comes to serving food for my family, I see no harm indulging every once in awhile.
Everything in moderation is my motto.
Be sure to check out my food page for more recipes!
Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese Recipe
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 whole wheat flour *you can use all purpose if you'd prefer
- 2.5 C whole milk
- 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- 6 oz. fontina cheese, shredded
- 6 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 box of pasta *I used small shells
- 1 butternut squash, diced
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp freshly chopped sage
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil
- *For topping:
- 3/4 C panko crumbs
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp granny smith apple, minced
- *You can also add some shredded gouda to the top if you'd like
- Toss diced butternut squash with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and spread onto a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes on 400 degrees.
- While butternut squash is baking, cook pasta until just undercooked.
- Turn oven down to 350 degrees.
- Heat milk in a sauce pan on medium-high heat until bubbles start to form.
- Meanwhile, melt butter into a large skillet. Whisk flour into butter until smooth. Add nutmeg and sage.
- Slowly add hot milk into butter/flour/nutmeg mixture. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and slowly whisk sauce until thick and creamy.
- Take sauce off heat and add cheese. Mix until smooth.
- Then, add butternut squash and pasta.
- Pour mac and cheese into a grease pan.
- For topping, melt butter into panko crumbs and granny smith apple and pour on top.
- Bake mac and cheese for about 25 minutes.
Food 4 Fall & Kitchen Aid Mixer Giveaway!
My foodie friend Colleen, from Souffle Bombay gathered a group of us together for a fun post about the flavors of Fall PLUS hold on to your hats!! We are giving away a GORGEOUS Kitchen Aid 5QT Professional Stand Mixer!
Who’s feelin’ lucky? Get ready for some serious deliciousness coming your way!
Things like DIY Maple & Apple Breakfast Sausage, a colorful Layered Potato Gratin, hearty Black Bean & Pumpkin Soup, delicious Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese, super-fun & seasonal Apple Cider Jello Shots , Mini Cheesecakes with Mini Caramel Apple Pops and so much more!
Join us for #Food4Fall and who knows YOU may be the proud new owner of an apple-red Kitchen Aid! Good Luck!
Don’t forget to check out all the other amazing Fall Food Recipes!
Maple & Apple Pork Breakfast Sausage Patties from Courtney’s Sweets
Roasted Pumpkin, Gruyère and Spinach Quiche from Afropolitan Mom
Black Bean & Pumpkin Soup from Giggles Gobbles & Gulps
Farm Fresh Broccoli & Cheese Soup from How Does Your Garden Grow
Roasted Carrot Ginger Soup from O’ Boy Organic
Squash Soup in Pumpkin Bowls from A Day In Our Shoes
Roasted Root Vegetable & Apple Soup from Momma Lew
Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese from The Good Mama
Vegan Portobello Pizzas from Busy Bee Kate
Layered Potato Gratin from Girl Gone Mom
Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Roasted Vegetables & Bacon from The Vintage Mom
Cinnamon Swirl Cake from A Grande Life
Mini Cheesecakes with Mini Caramel Apple Pops from Souffle Bombay
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Pie from Mom Blog
Caramel Haze Martini from The Fabulous Fairy
Apple Cider Gelatin Shots from Can’t Google Everything
Salted Caramel Appletini from How I Pinch A Penny