DisclosureThere are a couple affiliate links floating around this post. If you make a purchase, at no additional cost to you, I will make a small commission.
I have stated before that I am not a baker.
There’s just way too much science involved. I don’t understand how it all works.
I’m usually on my knees begging the oven to please transform the ingredients I have mixed together into something delicious.
Lucky for me, I do have plenty of fabulous bakers around me. My mother-in-law, my grandmother, my sisters-in-law, my aunt (who’s a food scientist) all make the best desserts!
Although she denies calling herself a baker, my own mother also makes incredible baked goods.
After making 350(!) beautiful and tasty sugar cookies for our wedding favors, I demanded she share the recipe.
This is seriously the best sugar cookie recipe ever.
I was absolutely shocked with how easy the recipe was to follow and how perfect the cookies came out.
The Best Sugar Cookie Recipe Ever
Start the best sugar cookie recipe ever by creaming the butter and sugar. My mom and I use our KitchenAid Stand Mixer.
Next, add 1 extra large egg, vanilla extract and almond extract. An extra large egg adds just a little more moisture than your regular, ol’ large egg. It’s also important to make sure the egg is room temperature. If you forget to take your eggs out early, you could always run some warm water over them (or stuff them in your shirt for a few minutes like I decided to do one time).
Next, add flour, 1 cup at a time, and baking soda, a 1/2 teaspoon at a time, to the batter. Add your salt in the 2nd round of flour and baking soda.
Here’s your finished dough. Take it out, divide it in half, wrap it in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
After chilled, roll your dough out on a floured surface. These handy quarter inch pastry guides are the perfect tool to ensure an even thickness.
Use cookie cutters to cut out your desired shapes. Place cookies on parchment paper and pop into a 375 degree oven for about 10-12 minutes or until the edges are just slightly golden.
Try not to sample any before you place them on a wire rack to cool.
Now, they are very tasty plain. I know because I have had way too many plain ones because I was too impatient to wait for the icing.
If you would like the Best Sugar Cookie ICING Recipe Ever, then stay tuned for the second part of this series coming up in a few days.
- 1 C butter, room temperature
- 1 C sugar
- 3 C all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 extra large egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add egg, vanilla extract and almond extract. Mix well.
- Add flour, one cup at a time, and baking powder, 1 tsp at a time. Add salt. Continue to mix until dry ingredients are completely incorporated.
- Divide dough in half, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Take dough out and roll out onto a floured surface using quarter inch pastry guides.
- Cut shapes out with cookie cutters and place onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until the edges are just slightly golden.
- Place on wire racks to cool.
*Adapted from Kitchen Gift's Recipe
Happy Baking! This sugar cookie recipe is just one of many posts for the Countdown to Christmas Blog Hop- a wonderful collection of recipes, crafts, traditions, and more! Click the button to check it out.