DisclosureThere's an affiliate link in this post. If you decide to make a purchase, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission.
If you read my 12 Easy Apple Snack Recipes post then you know how much I love apples. They are by far my favorite fruit.
Now that it is officially Fall, I like to take part in all the traditional Fall activities: pumpkin picking… making a giant leaf pile… watching football… and, of course, apple picking. As my due date rapidly approaches (less than a week away!), I worry slightly that I won’t be able to truly enjoy and partake in all things Fall. I’ll be just a tad be busy after all.
So, I was more than excited to head out to the apple orchid this past Wednesday with W and Good Papa since Good Papa had the day off. It was a beautiful, almost summer-like, day. We tried out Tabora Farm & Orchard this year and I’m so glad we did! It was local, there were plenty of tasty apples and W was thrilled with the giant sandbox and toys they had for the kids.
Apple, Bacon & Gruyere Panini Recipe
I love a good panini. They are easy to make and versatile. You can really be creative with what you add to them. Since we had plenty of apples from our day of apple-picking, I thought an apple panini would be a nice and tasty dinner.
All I did was sauté some onions and apples together on low heat, added some gruyère cheese, bacon and a little arugula and threw it together on a onion roll. Bacon was really tasty, but any type of ham would do. You could also easily forgo all meat for a tasty vegetarian sandwich.
I used a panini press, but you could use a grill pan, regular pan or even pop it in the oven to melt the cheese.
- 1 large apple (you can use your favorite kind of apple; I used gala)
- 8 slices of bacon (amount depending on how many sandwiches you are making)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 thick slices of gruyere cheese
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1/8 tspn coriander
- arugula, for topping
- dijon mustard, for topping
- 4 rolls (I used onion rolls, but any kind will do)
- Slice apples and onions into thin slices.
- Add olive oil to a pan over medium low heat.
- Sauté onions and apples and coriander for about 10 minutes. While onions and apples are sautéing, fry up some bacon in another pan.
- Assemble sandwich. Add bacon, cheese, onions, apples and a little arugula.
- Heat with panini press until the cheese is nice and melted.