With a new baby it has been a little tricky planning recipes for dinner. So, I’m thrilled to welcome Lisa as a guest poster. She is here to share her fabulous Mini Chicken Pot Pie Recipe. Enjoy!
Hi, everyone! I’m Lisa from Retro Housewife Goes Green. I’m so excited to share my recipe for mini chicken pot pies over here on The Good Mama.
Chicken pot pie is a wonderful comfort food for fall and winter. It can be very time consuming though. However, this recipes uses a homemade biscuit crust made from a homemade baking mix in place of the traditional pie crust. It takes just minutes to mix up!
It’s great with leftover chicken, turkey, or even ham. You also can put leftover vegetables in it. This makes it perfect for after Thanksgiving to use up all those leftovers.
In my home we like to use chicken and broccoli. It’s delicious and everyone always asks for seconds. It also reheats well if you have leftovers.
Getting kids to eat vegetables can be a challenge, one that Tricia has addressed. Thankfully this recipe is super kid-friendly. The cheesy sauce can help make the veggies more easily accepted by your kids. Plus the small size is a lot of fun.
Mini Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
I enjoy making this after Thanksgiving with leftover turkey and any leftover vegetables. Even if you have already had your fill of turkey this is so flavorful you won’t mind eating it one more time.
If you are a vegetarian just skip the meat, double up on the veggies and use a vegetable stock instead of the chicken broth. It’s a lot of fun to play with.
- 2 C chopped leftover cooked chicken (or ham or turkey)
- 2 C leftover vegetables
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 C chicken broth
- 1 C shredded cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 C homemade baking mix
- 1 C grated cheddar cheese
- 2/3 C milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Biscuit topping: Mix all the ingredients, be careful not to over mix.
- Press dough into greased muffin tin. Keep it as thin as possible.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook for about 1 minute.
- Slowly add chicken broth, whisking constantly. Bring to simmer, whisk occasionally until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add salt and pepper. Stir in cheese until melted.
- Add meat and vegetables to the sauce, mix well and spoon into biscuit cups (if they poof up too much, gently push down a little to make room for filling).
- Bake for 5 minutes or until biscuits are browning and everything is hot.
- Let cool slightly before removing from muffin tin.
I’d love to hear your favorite things to put in pot pies. Share in the comments.