May is one busy month for our family! We have 4 birthdays, Memorial Day and I can’t forget about Mother’s Day. When you find yourself in a busy month, it can be tricky to find time to exercise.
You plan it out. You think, “I’m going to head to the gym, run in this race and workout every day,” until the next thing you know you’re busy baking cupcakes for a Memorial Day picnic, picking out a gift for your mom and napping because you’re so tired from all that celebrating.
Too often we forget that exercise comes in a variety of different forms. Stretchy pants, yoga videos and fitness gyms are not required for staying active, healthy and fit. In fact, the best form of exercise is the type you’ll stick with and enjoy.The best form of exercise is the kind you'll stick with and enjoy. 31 Ways to Move It In May Click To Tweet
So, if you prefer going on a hike to spin class or only have time for running around the yard with your kids, that’s okay. Exercise should feel good. Do the thing that gets your heart pumping and puts a smile on your face. If you aren’t sure where to start, I’ve created a list of 31 Ways to Move It in May. They are simple to do, and sure to keep you active and put you in a good mood. Don’t forget to click on the calendar for your own free printable calendar!
31 Ways to Move It In May
- Challenge yourself and try a new workout
- Try a HIIT workout or a Tabata workout (they’re short, but intense)
- Play a sport outside (e.g. basketball, tennis, softball, golf)
- Try an outdoor boot camp
- Try some yoga outside (This is a fun and different yoga workout that’s only 20 minutes)
- See how many squats or push-ups you can do in a minute. Head to the park and see how many pull-ups you can do on the playground equipment.
- Try a 5K walk/run (do it on your own or find one in your area)
- Walk somewhere instead of drive
- Get some work done while you workout
- Wash the car, run around the car a few times to really get a workout in
- Do some weeding or gardening
- Pick up some fruit/veggies at a local farm
- Make your own ice cream!
- Pick some flowers for your mom or mother-in-law for Mother’s Day
- Get active with the kids! I wrote about this before, but I’ve added a few other ideas here
- Go on a hike
- Play tag with your kids
- Make an obstacle course in the backyard; time yourself and the kids
- Have a long jump contest
- Pick up a hula hoop, jump rope or a kite
- Go on a bike ride
- Play Mother May I or hopscotch with the kids
- Make giant bubbles in the yard
- Go on a picnic
- Go to a local pond and fish or feed the ducks (i.e. take lettuce instead, much better for them than bread)
- Climb a tree or run circles around it
- Sing some movement songs with your kids (e.g. head, shoulders, knees and toes, hokey pokey)
Click on the calendar for your own FREE printable calendar!
How are you going to Move It In May? Leave a comment below.