You may have noticed that I have been absent these past few days.
W started the beginning of the week with a little bug then passed it along to me.
Thankfully, it appears I received the worst of it (there’s no upside of having a sick toddler).
Now, it’s absolutely no fun to be sick. It’s especially not fun when you have a little one trying to give you kisses, share food with you or drink your water.
Hmm.. I wonder if that’s the reason we both got sick?
Luckily for me, I have amazing in-laws that offered to watch W while I take the day to recuperate.
Despite being sick, I was surprised to find some upsides of having a sick day.
Since cold/flu season is upon us, I figured I’d share them with you in case you find yourself in the same situation (hopefully not).
Surprising Upsides of having a Sick Day
- Sleep: Oh, have I miss you! When was the last time I was able to just lay in bed all day without an alarm clock blaring in my ear or a tiny elbow jabbing me in the eye? College? Sleep, you complete me.
- Trashy TV & Silly Movies: Most days I have no reason to watch all those ridiculous reality shows and chick flicks. A sick day, however, is the perfect excuse to zone out and shamelessly watch all the shows and movies you’d never admit to another soul. Hello, Real Housewives of New Jersey Reunion Special: Part III. If you need a list of chick flicks to watch, be sure to hop over to Mommy in Sports for the complete list.
- Ginger ale: I seriously never drink this unless I’m sick. I don’t know why. It’s absolutely delicious!
- A break from household chores: I really love my husband. He made sure that the house was not in complete disarray while I was holed up in our bedroom.
- Toast: Whoever invented the toaster is the greatest person ever! It’s so simple, but SO tasty- especially when you haven’t eaten anything else in the past 24 hours.
- Soup: Toast is great and all, but soup wins as the best sick day meal- especially wonderfully homemade chicken noodle soup (thank you, mother-in-law)! Can you tell that I’m really hungry after not eating anything but soup and toast for the past day and a half?
- A break from social media: It was really refreshing and peaceful to set my phone aside and forget about all of the notifications and e-mails. I really shouldn’t wait until my next sick day to try that again.
While there are a few surprising upsides of having a sick day, ultimately, being sick is no fun! So, make sure you wash your hands frequently and stop touching your face or sucking your thumb (W). Check out some more ways to prevent getting sick this winter over at Super Hero You.
Do you know of any surprising upsides of having a sick day? Let me know what they are in the comment section below!