I recently took a trip to my parents’ house with the kids for a few days since Good Papa had to go away for work.
You realize how much work a toddler and an infant are when you have them with you all by yourself. Or, I’m just a big baby.
Either way, I was beyond glad to have the help of my parents. W had a great time watching movies, enjoying the unusually warm weather and making gingerbread houses with my niece.
While my mom and dad played with the kiddos one of the nights, I took the opportunity to cook dinner for the family without a toddler hanging on my leg and an infant in my arms. They should really start some type of cooking show where the contestants have to make a meal from scratch while dealing with their kids. I would totally watch it.
Although it doesn’t feel like it, it’s just about winter. I don’t know about you, but I love citrus in the winter. Oranges and blood oranges are so tasty and refreshing in the cold, winter months.
Sauteed Chicken with Orange Sauce Recipe
I found these great blood oranges at the Wegmans near my parents, so I decided to use them for a sauce. The meal turned out very tasty, and I loved how easy it was to put together.
Unfortunately, when I went to the store near me to make the meal a second time (I forgot to take pictures the first time!), they didn’t have blood oranges. Instead of throwing a full on adult-tantrum (like I wanted), I improvised with some regular-ole’ oranges.
I am very pleased to share that the orange sauce was just as tasty as the blood orange sauce. SO, feel free to use either blood oranges or oranges. This dish is so yummy and SO simple to make. It’s perfect for a weeknight dinner this winter when you just can’t think of a single thing to make.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 4 tbsp butter *I used Earth Balance dairy free/soy free butter since I am currently not eating dairy/soy. You could also use olive oil
- 1 shallot
- 1/4 C of orange juice (about 2 oranges)
- 1/2 C chicken broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- orange slices for garnish
- Tenderize the chicken or pound it with a meat mallet (or use a hammer or rolling pin)
- Melt butter over medium high heat.
- Saute chicken for about 3-5 minutes on each side, depending on thickness
- Take chicken out and set aside; keep warm with tin foil
- Lower heat to medium. Add butter and melt.
- Add in minced shallot and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, be sure to use a wooden spoon to break up chicken bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook broth until reduced by half.
- Add orange juice. Cook until reduced by half again.
- Add orange slices and meat to sauce.